Have you ever tried coconut bacon?! When you add only 5 ingredients to unsweetened coconut flakes you get this amazing bacon-flavored coconut in 15 minutes. Since I’ve never been able to find a recipe without liquid smoke I decided to create my own coconut bacon without liquid smoke!
The results are smoky, slightly sweet, salty, crunchy “bacon” that tastes wonderful on top of my salads, sandwiches, bowls, + pretty much anything!
You want to make sure you get large flakes of unsweetened coconut to ensure you get the right texture + taste!
The oil adds the fat, tamari adds the umami flavor, smoked paprika + black pepper adds the smokey, spiced flavor, sea salt adds the saltiness, maple syrup adds the sweetness + BAM you have bacon-flavored coconut!
- 2 cups (115 g) UNSWEETENED large coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp refined coconut oil (if you use unrefined it will have a coconut flavor), avocado oil or grape seed oil
- 2 tbsp tamari, soy sauce (if not gluten-free) or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp SMOKED paprika
- 1 tbsp maple syrup, coconut sugar or sweetener of choice
- ¾ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- line a baking sheet with parchment paper + preheat the oven to 325F
- add the coconut flakes to the lined baking sheet, top with all of the ingredients + toss to combine
- spread the coconut in an even layer + bake for 5-7 minutes
- stir + flip the coconut + bake again for another 5-7 minutes (watch closely! they turn from perfectly browned to burnt quickly)
- let cool for 5-10 minutes to allow them to get extra crispy. if you like softer bacon you can bake for a total of 10-12 minutes
- taste + adjust as needed! if you like your bacon sweeter you can add more maple syrup, if you like it fatty you can add more oil, if you like it more smoky add more smoked paprika, or if you like it saltier add more sea salt. personalize it boo!
- place + seal in an airtight container + store in the freezer for up to a month
This page contains affiliate links. Purchases you make through these links will help fund my work on Sprouting Free at no extra cost to you. I am truly grateful for your constant love + support!