These less than 5 ingredient delicious energy balls are what saved me from eating store bought granola bars with sneaky ingredients. Before a workout or in-between meals when I’m craving something but I’m not sure what these lil’ babies come in to save the day!
They are filled with plant-based vitamins + minerals including healthy fats, fiber, protein, calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, magnesium, folate, + vitamin E. The dates even help our body metabolize carbs, proteins,+ fats. This is why they are actually filling + satisfy a craving. They also happen to be very easy to make + personalize.
Happy rolling! 🙂
Choose 2 cups of any nuts or seeds you have on hand. No need to buy anything new here! I find that I eat a lot of cashews + almonds so this is my favorite time to slip in the nuts + seeds I don’t eat as often like walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, Brazilian nuts + hazelnuts.
Medjool dates are my absolute favoooorite. It took me a while but overtime they are how I moved away from processed sugars. Whenever I find myself wanting candy I eat a few dates (sometimes I still eat candy though, too 😉 – all about balance)! Mixed with the coconut oil they not only are a nutrition powerhouse but also create the perfect sticky dough-like texture. If you want to make this a low sugar option try subbing the dates with coconut butter!
Using a cookie scoop (or really your hands are fine) roll the dough into balls + any toppings you desire, place them on a baking sheet or plate, pop ’em in the freezer for 15 minutes + they’re all yours to enjoy!
- 2 cups nuts/seeds of choice - (I chose 1 cup (95 g) walnuts, ¼ cup (37 g) almonds, ½ cup (67 g) pepitas/pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup (31 g) sunflower seeds)
- pinch of Ceylon cinnamon (optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- pinch of sea salt
- 1¼ cup (158 g) medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup (35 g) coconut oil
- if using cheaper/harder dates soak them in hot water for 10 minutes after removing the pits to soften. this will make them stickier!
- add the 2 cups total of nuts + seeds, cinnamon, vanilla extract + sea salt in the food processor. pulse until crumbly (make sure not to over process or you'll have nut butter!)
- add the dates + coconut oil. pulse until dough forms
- roll the dough into about tablespoon size balls on a plate or baking sheet
- optional: roll the balls in toppings. I used hemp seeds + unsweetened coconut flakes!
- place in the freezer for 15 minutes to harden + enjoy!
- store in sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 1 month. I keep mine in the freezer + grab one whenever I want a filling snack!