I love savory breakfast + potatoes in every form! These mashed potato pancakes are crispy on the outside + creamy on the inside, are filling + perfect for left over mashed potatoes. I top them with black beans simmered in broth, homemade pico de gallo, + always avocado + lime!
The ingredients are simple + fresh. Great for a quick brunch!
Homemade salsa is SO underrated. It’s so easy + versatile! I love pico de gallo with these pancakes.
I just form the pancakes in my hand, similar to a hamburger patty. I find this to be the simplest, no-fuss method that yields great results.
*drools* In addition to beans + pico de gallo, my dairy-free sour cream or pickled red onions would go great as well!
- 4 Yukon golden potatoes, washed + scrubbed*
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- splash of plant-based milk, if needed (i.e. almond, soy, etc.)
- 2 cups (~600 g) mashed potatoes
- 2 large tomatoes, deseeded + diced
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper, deseeds + finely diced (optional)
- sea salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp chopped chipotle chilies in adobo (optional)
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained + rinsed**
- ½ cup vegetable broth or broth of choice
- place the potatoes in a pot + cover with salted water. let them boil until very tender, approximately 30 minutes. poke with a fork to check if they're done
- add the potatoes to a bowl + mash using a potato masher, fork or your hands if they are cooled
- add in sea salt, black pepper, nutritional yeast, a splash of plant-based milk if you would like it a creamier consistency + mix all together. you don't want to make it too creamy because we want it to hold together!
- add all the salsa ingredients to a bowl + mix
- taste + adjust lime or salt as needed. cover + refrigerate
- add olive oil in skillet on medium-high heat
- add the garlic + sauté for 1 minute
- add the chipotle chilies, cumin, sea salt + black pepper. sauté for another minute
- add the black beans + broth + simmer until thickened, approximately 5 minutes
- use a potato masher or the back of your spatula + smash about half the beans so it is a refried bean texture
- taste + adjust seasoning as needed. I added adobo from the chipotle chilies for more spice!
- heat a nonstick pan on medium-high heat with nonstick spray or oil. you want the pancakes to brown + don't want them to stick!
- add about ½ cup of the mashed potatoes to your hands + form it into a pancake/patty about the size of the palm of your hand + ½ inch thick (see pictures above)
- add two pancakes at a time to the skillet + flip gently using a spatula when browned, approximately 3-5 minutes. you can push down on the pancake to flatten it a bit but don't over flatten so it falls apart! add more oil as needed but I found that just a little went a long way + mine still browned
- allow the second side to brown, another approximately 3-5 minutes
- place one pancake on a plate, top with a layer of beans, place another pancake on top, add a heaping amount of beans + salsa. serve with lime + sliced avocado on the side
**I could see pinto beans working well here also!