Who doesn’t love hot wings + french fries? The most epic bar food duo. Over the years I have tried SO many buffalo cauliflower wing recipes. Ones with batter, without batter, baked, fried, etc. So this, my friends, is a mixture of all the things I loved about those recipes. Try it with my vegan animal style fries for a serious treat *heart eyes*.
I know pretty much anything doused in buffalo sauce is amazing but these golden brown, saucy, sticky wings take it to a whole new level. I share a classic buffalo sauce in this recipe but if you’re feeling up to it I love using half buffalo sauce + half barbecue sauce for spicy barbecue wings too!
It’s all about the batter. Cauliflower itself is pretty mild in flavor so a mixture of chickpea flour or another gluten-free flour of choice, almond/soy milk + spices creates a not too thin or too thick batter perfect for the cauliflower florets! Not to just add some additional flavor, but also to get them nice + coated with the buffalo sauce. I’ve also found it’s important to make sure the cauliflower is nice + dry before coating to avoid soggy wings after baking.
Once the cauliflower is coated in the batter it’s time to bake! Make sure there’s some space between each floret on the baking sheet to allow them all to bake nice + evenly. This entire recipe is pretty hands off since other than coating the florets with batter + sauce they spend the rest of the time baking away.
Now it’s time to coat them in the buffalo sauce + bake them again. This allows the sauce to really penetrate + flavor the wings so they can get a golden brown crust, soft insides + become sticky flavor bombs. I love to dip my fries in the extra buffalo sauce so I save some sauce to pour on again right before serving but that’s completely optional!
Now pair it with your favorite dairy-free ranch + these are ready to devour! Try them in different ways: in burritos or wraps, salad bowls or my favorite, on PIZZA, like I did below!
Post vacation 🍕. I’m forever on the hunt for the best homemade gluten-free crust. This is @simplemills + is one of my favs! I used a flaxseed egg instead of the recommended eggs, topped it with buffalo cauliflower, @miyokos_kitchen vegan mozzarella + cashew cream sauce (just equal parts water + cashews, s&p, + garlic in the blender) 🤤 . Will share my buffalo cauliflower recipe soon 💃🏽
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- ¾ cup (90 g for chickpea) chickpea flour, all purpose gluten-free flour, brown rice flour, or etc.
- ½ cup (118 mL) UNSWEETENED almond or soy milk
- ¼ cup (59 mL) + 2-5 tbsp filtered water
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or regular paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ black pepper
- ½ cup (118 mL) buffalo sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (I like Miyokos), melted
- preheat the oven to 450F + line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- combine all the batter ingredients until a thick but pourable batter is formed. you don’t want it too thin that it doesn’t stick to the cauliflower but also not too thick that it doesn’t dry
- make sure your cauliflower is completely dry or you may end up with soggy wings. then dredge each floret in the batter, shaking off the excess batter, + placing them on the lined baking sheet without touching so they are able to bake evenly. bake for 20-25 mins flipping halfway through
- begin preparing the buffalo sauce by combing all the sauce ingredients
- once the cauliflower is finished baking toss the florets in the buffalo sauce, shaking off the excess sauce, + bake for another 20-25 mins flipping halfway through until they're nice + browned
- allow to cool for 5 mins and serve immediately with dairy-free ranch
- optional: if you like saucier wings brush on some extra buffalo sauce before serving!