Is there anything better than berries in the middle of summer? Aside from being packed with vitamin C (more than an orange!), fiber, + antioxidants, strawberries are oh-so-delicious + my personal favorite berry. Here is my gluten-free vegan strawberry crisp that is incredibly easy to make with only 7 ingredients!
It’s warm, crispy on top + soft on the bottom, tart, sweet but not too sweet + a killer pair with vanilla ice cream or even coconut yogurt for a sweet breakfast. Happy baking!
The star of this crisp is the bright red, sweet strawberries! If you happen to have other berries on hand feel free to use those as well. I’ve made it with a mix of strawberries, blueberries + raspberries + it’s divine!
I quarter all the strawberries so they’re in smaller bite-sized pieces. The arrowroot starch thickens the strawberry juices as they’re extracted while they bake + the maple syrup brings out their sweetness.
The gluten-free crisp made from a mix of almond flour + rolled oats with some coconut sugar makes the perfect sweet crunch on top of the tart strawberries.
This recipe is so simple + delicious I promise you won’t be able to stop making it all summer long!
- 5 cups (~760 g or about 2 containers from the store) strawberries (or berries of choice!), quartered
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch/powder, cornstarch or gluten-free flour*
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or liquid sweetener of choice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup (112 g) almond flour/meal
- 1 cup (90 g) gluten-free rolled oats
- ¼ cup (35 g) coconut sugar, date sugar, or sugar of choice
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- preheat the oven to 350F
- add the quartered strawberries directly into a 2 quart baking dish (11x7-inch or 9x9-inch) or of similar size
- add all the strawberry ingredients + toss to combine
- add all the crisp ingredients, except the coconut oil, to a medium bowl + mix until evenly distributed
- add the coconut oil + mix using your hands to ensure all ingredients are well coated (this makes the crisp nice + golden brown!)
- taste. if you prefer a sweeter crisp feel free to add more coconut sugar or maple syrup but I found that the sweetness was perfect when the crisp was done baking!
- sprinkle the crisp evenly on top of the strawberries
- bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes until the berries are bubbling + the top is a beautiful golden brown
- let cool slightly for 10 minutes before serving with vanilla ice cream for dessert or coconut yogurt for breakfast! store leftovers in an airtight glass container for up to 3 days