Thai food is one of my absolute favorites + I’ve always loved green papaya salad (som tam) but, recently I went to a small Thai restaurant in the East Village + had their mango salad. I have not been able to stop recreating it since. It’s perfect for summer!
This sour, sweet, spicy salad is a flavor bomb with less than 10 easy-to-find ingredients taking 15 minutes to throw together. It’s so refreshing with mango, crunchy with red bell pepper + toasted cashews, zingy with shallots, sour with lime, umami/savory with tamari, herby with cilantro, spicy with chili, + seriously delicious.
I know you’ll love it as much as I do!
These humble, fresh ingredients create this masterpiece. It is also very easy to customize. Carrots, cucumber or avocado would be great here also. You can use peanuts instead of cashews or forgo the nuts all together! You can use green onion or red onion instead of shallots…the world is your oyster 🙂
I mean, look at those colors! *heart eyes* I love simply delicious, nourishing, satisfying meals!
- 2 mangoes, peeled + julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- ½ bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced*
- ½ cup (37 g) of cashews, toasted + finely chopped**
- juice of 1 lime (~4 tbsp of juice)
- 3 tbsp tamari, shoyu/soy sauce (if not gf), or coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp honey, maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- ¼ tsp chili garlic sauce or sriracha
- place the cashews in a saute/frying pan on medium heat + toast until golden. shake the pan frequently to avoid burning. allow them to cool, roughly chop, + set aside
- mix all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl until well combined. taste + adjust seasoning as needed. I added more lime for sourness + sriracha for spice! this depends on your taste buds so be sure to use 'em!
- place all the ingredients, except the dressing, in a bowl + combine
- pour the dressing over the salad + combine
- enjoy immediately!
**peanuts can be used instead of cashews